Sunday, April 25, 2010

ANZAC Day

On Wednesday our school took part in a ceremony to commemorate ANZAC Day. 4/5L led the ceremony. We listened as they told us why ANZAC Day is so important to Australians and New Zealanders. Mr Kinsella spoke to us about the importance of ANZAC Day and we stood and paid respect to all the soldiers who have died during war and all those who have fought or are fighting in wars, while the Last Post was played. We then listened as Mr L read out the Ode. After that we watched a film clip that showed photos and movie footage of ANZAC soldiers in various wars.

The letters of ANZAC stand for Australian, New Zealand, Army Corps. ANZAC Day is the 25th April. It is special to Australians and New Zealanders because it was on the 25th April 1915 that the ANZACS first entered World War I. They landed on the beach at Gallipoli in Turkey at 4.28am on the 25th April 1915. Many soldiers died trying to get to the beach and safety. Because of the efforts of those brave men we remember all of those people who fought and died in all wars. We especially remember the Australian soldiers who are in places like Afganistan and Iraq, fighting to protect others. We think all these people are true heroes!


9 comments:

joel said...

I like the song about anzacday.from joel

Beatrice said...

Hi I am Beatrice from Miss T's classroom. We celebrate Anzac Day too! Can you tell me how do yor students celebrate Anzac Day? Please reply. Here is our website in case: http://mistea.edublogs.org

Unknown said...

Hey guys, I really liked your ANZACDay post. Adam's Mum sent me some pictures of your march, I was really proud. We had a dawn service and a barbeque breakfast here in Afghanistan. Keep up the great blog. Best wishes, Adam's Dad, Captain Welch.

Laragem said...

Hello 2R when I heard the ANZAC song I remembered the ANZACS who fought in the war to save Australia.
So we can be living the life that we are now.

James.P said...

I fill sad of the people that got killed in the war.From James.P

joel said...

I em very glad what the soldiers ward for us.from joel

Anonymous said...

I have a question do you know why people chose people to fight?


from Zak

Ella said...

Dear class
I like our ANZACday song. I
lisend to it twice
from Ella

Unknown said...

Zak
Most times when people fight it is because someone or something has taken something away from another person. One country could try and take another country from its people, or an earthquake could take someone's home from them. Those people could be fighting for somewhere to live or fighting sickness and disease. Sometimes a counrty's friends will come and help them, like Australia helps Afghanistan rebuild, or helps Indonesia after an earthquake.
Adam's Dad.